PROTECTING OUR HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS,
TEAM MEMBERS & COMMUNITIES
We are incredibly humbled, inspired and proud to share that JOANN, our Team Members, customers and partners have reached a major milestone in our efforts to help protect the nation. Today, we have surpassed the 100 million-mask goal we set a few short weeks ago, through our Make to Give program, corporate donations and customer purchases.
As much as we are proud of this incredible progress, we will not stop now. Our new goal is even more ambitious, as we aim to help provide masks for all Americans. We know of no other organization or group that has been able to provide this level of support in the short time we have been fighting this disease, and together, we can achieve this new objective.
These handmade masks are not only protecting our communities, but also hospitals, police and fire departments, long-term care facilities, and other frontline workers. We are proud to have partnered with the top U.S. and Army testing facilities, and we are confident that masks made with proven designs and our quality materials provide protection close to that of medical grade masks, which remain in short supply. Science has proven that facemasks are one of the best ways to slow the spread, and we have been and will be committed to understanding what works best to keep the highest standard possible.
We continue to do all we can to keep our Team Members, customers and communities healthy. Please take time in the coming days to celebrate your contributions to this major mask milestone, but also all of the small wins each day in your personal lives. Each virtual class, homemade meal, family Zoom call, and time you wear a mask in public, you are helping to stop the spread of this terrible virus. You should take time to reflect, and to be proud.
Thank you and stay well,
President & CEO
As you know, JOANN has been working to help fight the severe shortage of personal protective equipment, launching our Make to Give face mask program nationwide a few short weeks ago. Additionally, customers and Team Members are going above and beyond to make even more than what is being donated. We are amazed, humbled and incredibly proud to share that our customers, partners and Team Members have donated and purchased enough materials to-date to make more than 50 million masks!
You’ve also heard the CDC updated its facemask guidelines, now suggesting that all Americans wear masks or face coverings in public to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Our combined efforts to protect our healthcare workers and frontlines heroes now extend to our communities. We are so amazed at the determination of our generous customers and Team Members who are doing all they can to keep their communities safe and well.
We’ve been working diligently with partners such as Neiman Marcus to make items at scale as well, and are producing hundreds of thousands of masks and scrubs for large healthcare facilities and systems. The need is real, it is critical, and we will continue to do all we can to support all who are without protection, as long as it takes to get through this.
We also continue to enhance our store safety protocols and are taking measures to ensure all who are in our stores or order via Curbside Pickup are safe and protected. This week we released tightened protocols around store capacity, sanitization and other actions. No store will open to the public if there is any risk these measures are not taken. These enhanced safety protocols include:
• Limiting the number of customers in each store to conform to the social distancing radius of 6 feet, with a guide of 1 customer per 1,000 square feet, and/or following local restrictions if provided.
• All employees are encouraged to wear masks and gloves.
• New floor signage in all stores will enforce social distancing near our registers and cutting counters.
• Enhanced safe contactless curbside protocols in all stores.
I want to thank you for your continued generosity and care during this difficult time. It is hard, but I truly believe we will get through this and be stronger together on the other side. To our customers, Team Members and partners – Thank You. You are doing amazing and important work, and you will be the difference in getting America through this pandemic. We are all in this together.
Thank you and stay well,
President & CEO
Last evening, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released updated facemask guidelines ,now suggesting that all Americans wear masks or face coverings in public. This follows a number of other health care professionals and state leaders recommending the same. It is critical we reserve medical supplies for healthcare workers on the frontlines, and handmade masks are encouraged to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Given that JOANN is the primary supplier of fabric, sewing supplies and expertise in the country, we are compelled to offer our support in any way possible. I wanted to share how we are helping in this effort, and how we are protecting our communities as we do.
As you may know, JOANN has been encouraging customers and partners to help fight the severe shortage of personal protective equipment, launching our Make to Give face mask program nationwide. Customers are able to pick up a facemask kit at any open store, free of charge, to create masks to donate to healthcare systems and organizations in need. We continue to add new patterns and ideas to help those who are new to sewing. In just 2 weeks, we have donated materials to make nearly 5 million masks.
The response has been incredible, and customers are making even more than what is being donated. We estimate that customers have purchased enough material to make an additional 20 million masks in that same period. That’s 25 million masks going to protect healthcare workers, public service employees and communities in need.
We’re also proud to have launched a mask- and scrub-making partnership with Neiman Marcus Group. To-date, we have donated enough materials for alterations facilities to create thousands of masks and scrubs.
In addition to customer mask-making and the Neiman Marcus partnership, we are working directly with hospitals and organizations nationwide to get them materials and finished items. For example, we are producing more than 130,000 masks and 20,000 scrubs for a major hospital system, and another 300,000 masks for a large senior living facility. The need is real, it is critical, and we will continue to do all we can to support all who are without protection, as long as it takes to get through this.
We continue to ensure we are protecting our facilities, customers and teams across the nation, relying on the guidance of the CDC and local, state and federal governments. We’ve taken proactive measures to protect all who visit and work in our stores, including:
• Curbside Pickup: We are offering contactless Curbside Pick-Up at all stores, and in many locations, we have restricted to Curbside Pickup-only. Simply make a purchase via Buy Online, Pick-Up In-Store, and call the store when you arrive. Customers can simply open their trunks and we load the package. We also offer convenient Ship to Home on joann.com and on the mobile app, so you don’t even have to leave home if that is your choice.
• Limited hours: National store hours are temporarily changed to 10am-7pm, to allow for additional cleaning and re-stocking. Some stores may be closed or have further limited hours, depending on local restrictions and recommendations.
• Social Distancing protocols: We have posted social distancing protocols in all stores, and will limit the number of customers we allow to shop at one time to help enforce this standard. Key areas of the store have been taped off to reinforce the acceptable distances for customers to stand.
• E-Learning: All in-store events, classes and gatherings are postponed, and previously purchased classes can be rescheduled free of charge when Creators’ Studios reopen. We are also offering more inspiration at home with thousands of free projects, video classes and an offer of 2 months free of Creativebug, a creative learning service.
• Sanitization: Team Members are regularly disinfecting door handles, counters, keypads, shopping carts, baskets and restrooms, and we are monitoring all stores to ensure they remain stocked with enough appropriate cleaning supplies.
We continue to work with local governments to determine the appropriate level of store service, and keep the communities we serve safe and well.
Team Member Support
We are doing all we can to support our amazing Team Members, especially those who are cleaning our stores, stocking our shelves and bringing Handmade Happiness to customers. Our People are what set JOANN apart, and they are always our first priority.
• Increased Pay: In recognition of all they are doing, we have implemented a $2/hour increase for hourly store Team Members working in our stores. This increase also applies to hourly Team Members in our Distribution Centers, who are working to get product to our stores, partners and customers safely and efficiently.
• Leave Options: We’ve offered Team Members a variety of leave options and Employee Assistance Programs, and have granted more than 1,500 requests to-date. We have also instituted remote working options for corporate Team Members, to comply with local guidance.
• Health Protection: All Team Members have been encouraged to take precautionary health measures, including frequent hand washing, wearing handmade masks if they wish, and reporting any contact that leaves them uncomfortable or concerned. Our maintenance partners have been engaged to close and deep clean any store immediately if a potentially ill person is reported to have been inside.
As we’ve reiterated from the beginning of this unfortunate situation, the well-being of all JOANN customers, Team Members and partners is our main focus. We are incredibly proud to be a part of a solution to this national health crisis. The engagement, generosity and resilience of our communities and Team Members is truly inspiring, and exemplifies how we are all in this together.
Thank you and stay well,
President & CEO
Valued JOANN Customers –
We have heard from many of you as we continue to manage this complicated situation together, and I wanted to take the opportunity to share an update on JOANN’s efforts.
As you may know, hospitals and health care facilities across the country are running dangerously low on essential supplies, including masks and scrubs. They are reaching out to us daily with increasing urgency. The CDC has declared that in a time of crisis as we are in now, handmade masks are acceptable and can provide healthcare workers with an additional layer of protection, saving their low supply surgical grade mask inventory. They are also utilizing these masks with those in the hospitals to help slow the spread to other healthcare professionals. Thus, we launched an effort to help create these items from our donated materials. Crafters across the nation have jumped in to help and are sewing hundreds of thousands of protective masks, gowns and other essential items each day.
I am incredibly proud to share that since launching the Make to Give effort, we have donated fabric for more than 1.5 million masks in stores.
The amazing thing about our customers is that, especially in difficult times, you are always looking for ways to help. And we know you are making to give far beyond what we give through this program; we estimate customers have purchased enough cotton and elastic to make nearly 9 million masks to-date. You are making a difference.
In addition to helping our healthcare workers on the frontlines, we have heard your concerns for our incredible store Team Members, who are helping to make all of this possible. Our People are our greatest asset, and they have stepped up to help support our communities at their greatest time of need. To ensure their health and wellbeing, we are making additional efforts including: taping off key areas of stores to ensure social distancing; ramping up shipments of cleaning and sanitization supplies and distributing personal hand sanitizer; making curbside pickup available at all stores; and giving Team Members the materials to make and wear handmade masks like those being made in-store. We will continue to partner with state and local governments to provide the level of service appropriate for that area. Continue to check online for your local store hours. We want our Team Members and you, our customers, to take care in being safe as we navigate through this.
I am incredibly proud to be part of this giving craft community, where our Team Members and customers can make such a meaningful impact during this pandemic. Thank you all for your passion, generosity and care in this important effort.
We are all in this together.
President & CEO