20% OFF YOUR TOTAL PURCHASE* 20% OFF YOUR TOTAL PURCHASE*
Yarn Wall Hanging
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 12" canvas, triangle
- 5/16"x 12" wood dowel
- Yarn, Big Twist, 380yds: olive green, taupe, soft grey, 1 each
- Deco Art, Americana, acrylic paint, 2oz, Graphite
- 3/4" flat wash paintbrush
- 3/4" painter's blue tape
- Hot glue gun/glue gun stick, 1 stick
- 2' quilter's rule
- Measure and mark center of sides of triangle canvas. Use a ruler to draw a line connecting the marks to create one diamond shape and two triangle shapes on the front of the canvas. Use the ruler to draw lines from the center marks on the two sides of the diamond down to the back of the canvas.
- These lines will be perpendicular to the back of the canvas. Use Painters tape to mask off the sides and bottom edges of the triangle.
- Paint the diamond shape with the wash brush. Two coats may be necessary. Remove the tape. Set aside.
- With a pencil mark lines on the dowel. Start at one end. Mark at 3", 1 1/2", 3", 1 1/2". The last section will be 3". These are the spaces for the different color groupings of yarn.
- Tape one end of yarn to the center of one short end of a quilter's rule. Wrap the yarn lengthwise around the rule. Two times around the rule will be one strand that will loop around the dowel. Start and end the wraps at the same end. Do not overlap the wraps. When all the wraps are on the rule tape over the uncut end of yarn to keep all the strands together. Cut the ends of yarn at the first taped end.
- Olive Green: 20, Taupe: two sets of 20, Soft Grey: two sets of 20
- Loop the yarn around the dowel to secure. Start at one end with one set of soft grey then one set of taupe, green, taupe then finish with soft grey.
- Color sections should lay between the marks on the dowel. Tighten all loops and lay the dowel on a flat surface to adjust all loops to lay in a straight line. Add a small amount of hot glue to the end loops to keep them from sliding off the ends of the dowel.
- Keep the dowel on a flat surface and place the canvas, diamond point away from the dowel, above the dowel. With a pencil mark a line along the bottom edge of the canvas where the canvas and top of the dowel meet. This will indicate the location to apply glue. Remove the canvas and apply hot glue to the edge. Quickly lay the canvas back down and press the dowel to the glued edge. Make sure that the ends of the dowel are flush with the corners of the canvas.
- Lay the wall hanging on a cutting board lining up the bottom edge of the canvas with one line on the grid of the board. Take taupe and green strands and lay on top of the canvas. Finger brush out soft grey strands. Tape across strands approximately 12" away from canvas. This will stop yarn from shifting during cutting. Use scissors to cut the strands 9&"; from bottom edge of canvas. Lay the other sections down one color at a time and repeat taping and cutting as with soft grey. Cut taupe 10 1/2" down from canvas and green 12" down.